Autism Info Packet
Support for Families has produced the following information resource to assist families and professionals with their search for essential information and access to resources. We hope that they are helpful and invite you to contact us with questions or comments.
Download the entire PDF packet in your preferred language below, or scroll down to find links to each section of this packet.
Section 1: Fact Sheets and Diagnosis
- "Autism Spectrum Disorder" by The National Institute of Mental Health (NIMH)
- "What to Ask the Specialist Who Diagnoses Your Child" by Rethink Autism
- "Neurodiversity and Autistic People" & "Presuming Competence", excerpted fromA Curriculum for Self-Advocates [pdf] by autismNOW, The Arc, and Autistic Self-Advocacy Network (ASAN)
Section 2: Strategies for Home and School
- "Communication-Building Tips" & "Communication and Play Tips" by The Hanen Centre
- "Visual Supports" [pdf] by Treatment and Research Institute for Autism Spectrum Disorders (TRIAD)
- “Autism Q&A: Positive Behavior Support” by Virginia Commonwealth University’s Autism Center for Excellence (VCU-ACE)
- “Scripted Stories for Social Situations – Tip Sheet” [pdf] by Center on the Social and Emotional Foundations for Early Learning
- “Supporting Communication in High School” [pdf] & "Supporting Functional Communication in High School" [pdf] by The Center on Secondary Education for Students with Autism Spectrum Disorder
- “Assistive Technology 101” [pdf] by the Family Center on Technology and Disability
- “Apple Apps Resource Guide” [pdf] by VCU-ACE
- “Managing Wandering for People with Autism” by Kidpower
Section 3: How to Work with Professionals
- “How is Autism Treated?” [pdf] by Autism Speaks
- “Questions to Ask Marketers of Autism Interventions” by Association for Science in Autism Treatment (ASAT))
Section 4: Resources
- Materials in SFCD's Joan M. Cassel Memorial Library
- “Autism Spectrum Disorders Key Terms and Acronyms” [pdf] by IDEA Partnership & IDEAS that Work
- Websites and other resources [pdf]
These resources do not endorse any services or programs listed, nor are they to be considered an exhaustive listing of organizations or websites. If you find any incorrect information, if you would like to offer feedback, or if you know of additional resources that may be helpful to include in the future, please contact us.