Down Syndrome Info Packet
Support for Families has produced the following information packet to assist families and professionals with their search for essential information and access to resources. We hope that they are helpful and invite you to contact us with questions or comments.
Download the entire PDF packet in your preferred language below, or scroll down to find links to each section of this packet.
Section 1: Fact Sheets and Diagnosis
- "Down Syndrome Fact Sheet" by National Dissemination Center for Children with Disabilities (NICHCY), updated by Center for Parent Information and Resources (CPIR)
- "Language Guidelines", under "New Parent's Guide" section, by the National Down Syndrome Congress
Section 2: Strategies for Home and School
- “Early Intervention” by the National Down Syndrome Society
- “Assistive Technology 101” [pdf] by Family Center on Technology and Disability
- “Visual Supports for Children with Down Syndrome” by the Down Syndrome Centre
- "Speech and Language Practical Activities" [pdf] by Down's Syndrome Association UK
- "Behavior and Communication," [pdf] by Libby Kumin and Jessica Pearsall, via National Down Syndrome Congress
- "Chapter 3: Teaching Strategies," [pdf] by DeAnna Horstmeier, Ph.D. Excerpt from Teaching Math to People with Down Syndrome and other Hands-On Learners, Woodbine House
Section 3: How to Work with Professionals
- "Health Care Information for Families of Children with Down Syndrome," [pdf] by the American Academy of Pediatrics
- "Occupational Therapy & Down Syndrome," by the National Down Syndrome Society
- "Speech & Language Therapy for Children & Adolescents with Down Syndrome" by the National Down Syndrome Society
Section 4: Resources
These resources do not endorse any services or programs listed, nor are they to be considered an exhaustive listing of organizations or websites. If you find any incorrect information, if you would like to offer feedback, or if you know of additional resources that may be helpful to include in the future, please contact us.